Letter of Introduction

September 5, 2019

City College of New York

160 Convent ave

New York, NY 10031

Dear Professor Rodwell,

I hope this email finds you well. For my major I plan on pursuing in computer science. It seems like a valuable asset in today’s market and has the potential to be common knowledge within the next few decades. With a computer science degree, I still have the freedom to pursue in any field I am passionate about. Computer science can be used in various fields such as law, sports, restaurants, fashion etc. Learning computer programming is not a limitation, but rather a gateway to many different opportunities.

With that in mind, I plan on using my major in computer science and combining it with my minor in political science and apply it to the field of law to become a lawyer. As technology becomes more ubiquitous in everyday life, the greater the impact it has on humans. With that transition also comes changes in modern problems. We can already see it in today’s society with cyberbullying, identity fraud and hacking others devices. As problems like these only continue to rise, state and federal laws makers will eventually adapt and modify laws to regulate and improve the democracy in the digital world that’s still in its wild west phase.

This realistic and more practical career direction is all to support a wish I have down the road, which is to be a head basketball coach at the professional level in any country. My passion for basketball lives to this day and I help many of my friends improve their game in small ways whenever I go to the gym. By staying involved in the sport and always participating to stay in physical shape, I can see this as being realistic down the road after I’ve financially supported myself with a career in law in technology. 

As prestigious and glamorous as these goals might sound, they require small and realistic goals along the way. My short term goals as of now are to stay focused and maintain a 3.5 GPA. By staying on course with my major and managing my time I will incorporate 3 years of Division III basketball. 

The importance of engineering in the future will only increase as our reliance on digital technology for everyday needs increases. I think eventually engineers in all fields will develop technology to a point where we will build autonomous computers and machines to take care of our necessities. All engineers would have to do at that point is update and innovate software. Human physical labor at some point will be almost completely obsolete to the limitless physical capabilities of machines. Construction and production eventually will come directly from machines, never risking the safety of humans. An example could be with infrastructure. Roads and bridges could be entirely built by machines programmed by computers. All that would be required in the future is programming machines and updating their software. I think we might get to a point where computer programming jobs might be obsolete to artificial intelligence and computers will be able to program themselves. 

I look forward to taking this class and improving my writing skills in the professional field of engineering

Sincerely,

Ralph Godfrey